Sewing - Trousers (5-week course)
with Penny Follows
This course runs for five sessions on consecutive weeks, from the start date listed on the calendar. Each individual session lasts two-and-a-half hours.
Are you inspired by the latest series of The Great British Sewing Bee? Or perhaps you bought or were given a sewing machine in Lockdown? You may have sewn in the past but feel a bit daunted when you look at dress making patterns?
Whatever your circumstances, you can learn to sew your own, simple stylish clothes. Sewing is a learnt skill and in this five-week course you can learn how to make a simple shell top, a skirt.
You will need to bring with you a sewing machine (if you have one), a basic sewing kit, your fabric and the pattern.
This course is intended for beginner/improver/intermediate dressmakers. You should be able to thread a machine and know how to use it. If you have one, please bring your own machine.
Learn to make a pair of simple pyjama trousers and a pair of classic trousers. You will start by making a simple pair of pyjama trousers and follow on by making a pair of more fitted classic trousers. This class will teach you
- How to measure yourself and decide on the size to make
- How to lay the pattern and cut the garment
- How to read and interpret pattern instructions
- How to sew darts, seams, make a casing to insert elastic, make a waistband, make and insert pockets, insert a zip into a fly front, sew a hook and eye closure, machine a hem or hand stitch a hem.
Suggested patterns: Pyjamas – New Look 6859, Trousers – Kwik Sew 4070
- Workshops - Short Courses
- 20 January 2022
- 150 minutes
- Queens Park Arts Centre
- Textile Studio
- Ages 16+